makes for about 4-6 servings
- 16 oz pasta
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 1.5 oz (about 1/3 cup) sun-dried tomatoes (NOT oil-packed)
- 8oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 2 tbsp light butter
- ½ heaping cup raw whole cashews (75 g, 2.6 oz) (soaked for overnight in hot water if you don't have a high powered blender)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or more to your taste, I used a bit more, don't omit!)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, mist a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray or an olive oil mister and set over medium high heat.
- Add in vegetables, garlic, and some salt and pepper, and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add the onion and just 1 cup of the broth over medium-low heat. Cook for about 8 minutes until the onion is very tender. After several minutes, add the garlic and cook a couple of minutes more. Let it cook until the broth has evaporated until thick and creamy.
- Add the the onion and garlic mixture to a blender. Start out by just adding ¾ cup more of the remaining broth and add the remaining ingredients (salt, pepper, cashews, lemon juice). Blend on high for a couple of minutes until very creamy and smooth. Add more broth to reach desired consistency.
- Divide pasta and vegetables evenly into 4 serving bowls. Top with sauce. Then sprinkle a bit of lemon zest on top.